I’ve wanted to try Pumpkin Butter for years and finally I dug out an old recipe a friend gave me some time ago. My large Long Island cheese pumpkin and me got into the kitchen together and out came … a very happy me and a mason jar full of Homemade Pumpkin Butter!
What you need (for a small jar):
270gr pumpkin, 30gr artificial sweetener (or any sweetener of your choice … my friend’s recipe called for brown sugar), 1ts apricot jam, 3tbsp water, 1tbsp lemon juice, its cinnamon, a pinch cardamon, a pinch ground gloves, a pinch nutmeg.
- Spray backing sheet with baking spray and place pumpkin halves flesh side down onto it. Bake for 40 – 50 minutes at 200°C or until flesh can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Scoop flesh from peel by using a large spoon and transfer to a small sauce pan.
- Add sweetener, jam, water, juice and spices to sauce pan and bring to boil. Be careful and stir frequently!
- With a potatoe masher (or a fork, takes you longer though) mash pumpkin and reduce heat. Let simmer for 30 – 40 minutes until mixture has thickened. Stir occasionally!
- Transfer to a mason jar and store in fridge!
Pictures will follow after breakfast tomorrow morning!